What is it?
A Diaphragm is a shallow, dome-shaped cup with a flexible rim. It is made of silicone. You put it into the vagina. When it is in place, it covers the cervix.
How does it work?
Diaphragms work to stop pregnancy from happening by stopping sperm from joining with an egg. In order for it to work best, the diaphragm must be used with spermicide cream, gel, or jelly. The diaphragm blocks the opening to the uterus and the spermicide stops the sperm from moving.
How well does it work?
The diaphragm works best if you make sure that it is covering your cervix before each time you have sex. It also works best when used with spermicide.
- If women always use the diaphragm, 6 out of 100 will become pregnant each year.
What are the benefits?
- It can be carried in your pocket or purse
- It usually cannot be felt by you or your partner during sex
- It does not effect a woman’s natural hormones
- If used the right way, it works very well
- You can put it in hours before you have sex, so you do not need to worry about forgetting to put it in if you think you might be having sex later
What is the downside?
- Some women feel like it’s hard to put it in their vagina
- It might be pushed out of place by some penis sizes, heavy thrusting, and some sex positions
- Every time you have sex, you must put it in place before
- It might need to be refitted if it doesn’t stay in place